October 20, 2012

My NanoWrimo Survival Kit

Apparently, these are things. So here's mine.

Laptop


Modest 12" Samsung "Princeton". Basically, it's a MacBook Air competitor before Intel came up with the idea of an "UltraBook." Running Ubuntu, but I'll be writing all my stuff in Google Drive.


Nexus 7 Android Tablet


Second screen and perfect for reading and proofreading my work. Also, games for distractions.

Cheap composition notebook and black Pilot gel pen


My particular notebook was made out of sustainable sugarcane, $3. And those are my absolute favorite pens.

Google Drive


See above. For something this sensitive, I'd rather it be stored automatically in the cloud.

Coffee and my giant writer's mug


Frankly any caffeine will do, but coffee is my drink of choice. Black, bitter, very hot and very cheap. Dash of cinnamon for flavor. My mug was a gift, from Starbucks, but minimally branded.


Pandora and Songza


As far as writing goes, instrumental dubstep really get's my creativity flowing. Don't judge me. I also like Tool, Cake and the soundtrack to the french movie Micmacs



Messenger Bag and Duct Tape Attache Case

For a while I was obsessed with making things with black duct tape. One of the more useful things I made was a portfolio thing. I've been using it to carry loose papers, my notebook and my tablet around. I don't always write at my desk. In fact, most of my best writing has been done at my favorite coffee shop or on campus of UNM. Those things are indispensable. 


Steve the Dalek

It seems that a lot of people have what they call a "writer's totem." Well, I don't have that. I have a plush Dalek, and he's more of a slave driver/personal motivator. (I love how "dalek" isn't a misspelled word according to Google's dictionary.)